Tasmanian is one of the most spectacular places in Australia to ride, however the weather can be amazingly unpredictable. It is not unusual to experience all four seasons in one day which means you need to be prepared to address the weather extremes and changing conditions while you are participating in the event and riding the long, steep ascents and descents. To ensure you can react to all possible weather conditions that may occur during the ride, the items listed below are compulsory for all cyclists and must be either worn or carried. Volunteers will marshal both start lines to ensure that you have these items before starting out. Any cyclist not wearing or carrying items in the following list will not be permitted to commence the ride as you will be putting yourself and other riders at risk without them.
PLEASE NOTE: In 2012, the weather during lead-in week and event day was in the mid to high 30s. Riders were urged to use their common sense regarding the compulsory items and we encourage future participants to do so as well. Pack the items and bring them with you and check the weather updates that will be available at registration.
NB: You must take responsibility for your own gear AT ALL TIMES.
- Helmet- must be roadworthy and Australian Standard Approved
- Rider bib – pinned to your lower back area
- Front and rear lights
- Water proof rain jacket
- Arm warmers – or a long sleeve jersey
- Leg warmers – we do not recommend long length knicks.
- Full length gloves
- 2 x Drink Bottles
- Puncture repair kit- including 2 x spare tubes, 3 x tyre levers, tools and mini pump or air cylinders. ( there will be a pump at each rest area)
- Food – Food will be available along the course but we recommend you start with ample food to address your individual needs.
The following items are not compulsory, however we do recommend that you bring these along too:-
- Mobile Phone
- Cash $20.00 note
- Thermal undergarment
- Warm socks